Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Instance of Insanity or Just Mental Fatigue.

I am currently in my last year of graduate school studying Electrical Engineering, Controls and Power Systems, when it dawns on me that I have to decide if I am going to go thesis or not. Now, this is nothing to be taken lightly as it basically sets the path for what you plan on doing further on in both professional and educational advances.

The difference between taking the thesis route and the class route is two credit hours, however the impact of taking the thesis route is extreme. Not only do you have to write the thesis, you have to be able to defend it. For those that know me, I can't defend and write worth a shit. If I take the class route, I still have to go into a course defense, which isn't easy either.

While I have been thinking about how I want to finish my masters program, I honestly have started to think why the fuck I started it in the first place. Why didn't I go out and get a job like all of my college friends? It seems like I have nothing really to gain from doing my masters degree. I'm not the most motivated person to go out and find a job and if I do get an interview, I tend to blow it somehow either by showing how unmotivated I am or stubble over the questions (quite literally).

If I take the thesis route, I have to find a project AND an advisor (you may have a project, but without an advisor, it doesn't mean dick and you have no chance of completing the thesis). I guess there is one benefit of doing a thesis over the course work and that is I can continue the thesis work while I am starting my professional future. However, that can't really be done with the course work since you are limited on the number of credit hours applied via independent studies.

In any case, I still have no clue what the hell I am going to do to finish my masters. For now, I will just concentrate on not fucking up and maintain my 3.0 GPA.

3 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Patrick Wellner said...

Andy is choosing the thesis route... so you might as well too ;) Make sure it is a well-uniformed thesis though! LOL

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Josh Millard said...

There will be a day that I will kill you. You will never know when, but just remember that there will be a day.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Andy said...

LOL, that was hilarious Pat! Sorry Josh.

I can think of one very good reason to go with the thesis - money. Two extra graduate credits have got to be fairly expensive.

That's the main reason I chose to go thesis (although for me, the difference was 3 credits).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home